Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Need to Blog...

I blame Gracie for this...she started blogging and she is completely hilarious, so now I too have the urge to express myself. Well actually it will probably turn out to be more of a rant page, but whatev it's still my life!

So for the last few years I've been working as a 911 operator / police/fire/ems dispatcher for a small semi-rural county. While working full time I was also getting divorced and going to college full time...busy girl! So I graduated December 2009 with my B.A. in Psychology and had no clue what to do with it. Well actually I take that back, I was looking for probation positions with Bexar County but they didn't have anything but Juvenile probation, so with a cringe on my face I applied and was immediately shot down! That was back in January-ish and I hadn't figured out what to do next. So also back in January I saw a posting for a Child Protective Services Investigator for the town I was already working at the PD...so I applied and never ever even got a response! So I waited a few months and as usual weathered the good and bad at work and finally saw another couple of postings, one for Investigator and one for Family Based Safety Services Worker. So I applied for both and they called me for an interview!!! So I turned on the ole charm, put on my cutest sensible shoes and a rockin pencil skirt and white button up shirt. The outfit said awesome yet sensible and fashionable all in one! They had no clue what was coming when I walked in the door...in those heels it was more like all 6 foot of me walking in the door, jeeeze. So they blah blah blah, I blah blah blah about all my worldly experience and bing, bang, boom a month later I get the call! Except...the call was offering me the Family Based Safety Services position for less dough, I'm like hmmmm not too sure about that. So trying to sound as grateful as possible I ask what happened with the investigator job, we chat for a minute, I plead with her not to think I'm ungrateful, she says she will call me back by 5pm that day. So I settle in with an episode of Will and Grace and prepare for a long wait. TA-DA 30 minutes later I'm an Investigator, WOOHOO!!!

So this is where life starts...I'm nervous as hell about giving 2 weeks notice and running off (yet again) to a job...scratch that...a CAREER I will more than likely have a love/hate relationship with. When I worked on the ambulance there was this patient that all the crews got called to that was battling an uncontrolled seizure disorder, the kicker with him is when he was post-ictal he was super combative, one day my partner and I hear the call go out again and I say "Ya know, that guy has never fought us...wonder why that is..." he replied "well, that's because you have this look on your face that says, dude seriously don't f*** with me!" Even recently my own mother said that I have this look on my face (apparently makeup and innocent smiles do not cover, I've tried!) that says I don't take any crap off of anyone! Makes me wonder why people love to give me crap...hmmm. Hopefully this no crap look will carry over.

I remain, as always
The Beaverhausen

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and good luck on the new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia, you truly are an inspiration to get my butt back in school...and that process has begun. Your "Seriously, don't F*** with me!" look has become legendary and I enjoy the fact that I have one of my own to mirror yours. It makes us who we are and despite people still loving to give us crap, in the end, they know better than to F*** with us!! Glad to see your blogging debut...and want to see more!!
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete