Sometimes dark and dry, sometimes entertaining and light, always the Beaverhausen...
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Taking Chuckie to the Pediatrician
I can't believe I forgot about this...I took Thor to the vet Saturday morning. He was in his little carrier while we were sitting in the waiting room letting out little pitiful meows. We go back to the exam room and the assistant weighs him (in the box of course, it was pre-weighed, much easier that way) and he's a startling 9.5 lbs. That's why I worry about him, because he's so little and can get dehydrated or sick much easier. I had pre-warned the assistant saying that Thor can be quite aggressive and most veterinarians don't get out without a bite or two. So the vet comes in with 3 other people (a little overkill for 9.5 lb cat, maybe if he was a jaguar it would be a different story). By this time Thor is roaming around the room checking it out, sniffing around. The vet starts petting him (mistake #1) and the 4 people try to surround him (mistake #2). He's growling at a low level when they pick him up and put him on the exam table and start feeling around on him. The whole situation fell apart when the rabies shot happened, that's when it turned into taking Chuckie to the pediatrician. Thor screamed so loud (one of those scary Halloween ear piercing screams) I covered my ears and mom scurried like a horseshoe crab out the door. The vet still had 2 shots to give, one being a steroid shot that would alleviate any itching that was causing Thor to over groom. Great, that's all I need, Chuckie with roid rage!!! The rest of the struggle involved only the vet and his intern and 2 full sized bath towels, because 1 just wasn't enough. I felt so bad for all parties involved I almost cried. The vet gave us some phenobarbital to chill Thor out and help stop the compulsion to lick. I haven't given him any yet and since he got the steroid shot really haven't seen him lick himself. The vet also told me that if we ran out of the phenobarb that I could just call and tell him that his favorite patient ran out of pills, really no need to bring him back in. Really, DON'T bring him back in! The thing that Thor does that is different from my other cats is that if you piss him off, he remembers and stalks you until he gets his revenge. I figured the rest of my weekend would be blood soaked and painful, quite the opposite. He was attached to me like you wouldn't believe. I had a shadow, he was all over me like glue. Still is really...my poor angel!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment