It is so weird to still love my career...the more I learn, the more excited I am! Child Protective Services has a terrible reputation, at least by people that don't really know what we do. On Friday I rode with a co-worker in my unit to do more observing for OJT, she was going to court and that's part of what I needed to see. So we go to court and it's CPS trying to take custody of a 2 week old child that was born addicted to opiates and crack-cocaine. I did not see mom directly, but I read the report from the investigator and this baby is #4 that has been born addicted and removed or rights relinquished by mom, she admitted to drinking and doing heroin and crack-cocaine all during the pregnancy, that's the sad part. The happy part is that baby has been placed in a foster-adopt home that is ready to keep him forever, happy part! So court was interesting, we then move on to 3 visits and at first they are all afraid to see us, because investigators are the first to go see people, but when it's explained that we are NOT here to take your kids, we are here to help, the tension seems to ease. The first 2 moms actually cried at all the help we can give them. Giving clothes to a school age kid when mom and dad can't afford it, she was in tears and he was so happy. That is the AWESOME part of the my job! Offering counseling to help mom with her past issues of abuse, she was so thankful. I definitely had the warm fuzzies at work Friday.
So I'm sitting in my office Thursday and a co-worker sticks her head in asking if I could do her a big favor. I'm like sure OK, she then says "can you watch some kids while I interview mom?" oooh jeeeeze....I have like 10 minutes experience with kids, this could be bad. It turns out it was 3 kids all under the age of 5. *sigh* So the 2 older kids are talking to me, but the little girl won't even look at me. I gave her like 3 minutes and she's ALL OVER ME. Cute. Then her nose starts to run and boogers are coming out *gag* so I'm gingerly trying to clean her up *double gag* and all 3 kids are jabbering away talking to me and I'm nodding like I speak toddler. Which I don't! Then the 2 youngest kids decide they have to find mom, NOW! So they wiggle out of the cubicle that is directly across from my office and take off running down the hallway yelling for mom. SHIT! So here I am in my cute work clothes chasing 2 small yelling children with my unit giggling at me. I'll admit it, I was laughing at me too. Luckily my legs are about 20 times longer than the kids so I caught them just in time! Goofy kids. Then Friday while I'm all warm and fuzzied up there were two different 3 year olds at two different visits that were all over me. There was also a 9 month old that was intensely, seriously INTENSELY staring at me. I think it was the cleavage, kids and men are attracted to boobs. I've thought for years that kids really aren't crazy about me, but apparently they do like me! What a fun week.
The Beav
See? Nothing to worry about. There will be children downthe line that will not like you no matter what you do. But just remember that they are the exception, not the rule. :) I'm glad that you are finding your niche, honey. Stick with it. You're doing great!!
ReplyDelete